Between 1673 and 1974, in the town of English Komenda, in the Central Region, the English expanded their lodge, which was built in 1663, into a fort which they named Komenda Fort. It stood on the right bank of the Komenda River, within range of the Dutch Fort Vendenburg.
The transfer of British Fort to the Dutch in January 1868 led to much unrest. The fort was bombarded by the Dutch warship Metalen Kruis. On 6th April, 1872, it was purchased by the English, along with other Dutch possessions.
British Fort has been preserved as a ruin.
Central and Western Regions
Cape Coast Castle
Tel +233-3321 32529