Fort Patience, built on the apex of a promontory , overlooking a serene beach and bay, is situated on the coastline of the Gulf of Guinea at Apam, in the Central Region. The fort was constructed between 1697 and 1702 by the Dutch. Originally called Fort Lijdzaamheid (‘Patience’ being the English translation), the fort was built to secure Dutch trade lines, and to guard its protectorate from its powerful British-controlled neighbours, the Agona and the Fante ethnic groups.
For five years, the indigenous people repeatedly held up construction of the fort, from its initiation in 1697, until 1702, over the inappropriateness of its size. The Fort’s original structure was a small two-storey stone lodge, but the people, on the other hand, preferred an impressive, properly fortified building that would serve as the stronghold of their defence and hence a compelling deterrent to future attacks.
Between 1701 and 1721, the Dutch reinforced Fort Patience by erecting a demi-bastion on the northwest and the southeast. The fort has since served as a police station and a post office. Fort Patience is currently used as a rest house.
The fort’s opening hours are 9:00am to 4:30pm.
Entrance fees are as follows:
|Visitor Category||Entrance Fee*|
|Pupils from Primary to JHS 3||GH¢ 0.50|
|SHS Students||GH¢ 1.00|
|Tertiary Students with ID||GH¢ 2.00|
|Ghanaian Adults||GH¢ 5.00|
|Foreign Children||USD 2.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis|
|Foreign Students with ID||USD 7.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis|
|Adult Foreigners||USD 10.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis|
*Entrance fees were reviewed in February 2013
2 Barnes Road, Adabraka, Accra
P.O. Box GP 3343, Accra
Telephone: +233-302 221633/221635
Fax: +233-302 222401
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org