The Ghana Museums and Monuments Board undertakes the following functions/activities:
- Equipping and managing all material cultural (movable and immovable) heritage of the nation
- Establishing, equipping and managing new museums
- Controlling the export, import, sale and change of ownerships of material cultural property through licensing and issuance of permits
- Establishing a National Register and keeping inventory of all material cultural (movable and immovable) heritage of Ghana
- Identifying and recommending for declaration as national monuments, structures, objects and sites of historical and cultural significance
- Undertaking research and publication of all matters relating to material cultural (movable and immovable) heritage.