Fort William is sited on Dawson’s Hill in Cape Coast, in the Central Region of Ghana. Fort William was built in April 1820 on the site of a lookout post previously used for signalling purposes. The fort was built by the then English Governor, Hope Smith. It was named Smith’s Tower.
Prior to 1838, the fort was converted to a lighthouse and renamed Fort William.
Fort William currently accommodates staff of the GMMB and has been preserved to a fairly good state.
The fort’s opening hours are 9:00am to 4:30pm.
Entrance fees are as follows:
|Visitor Category||Entrance Fee*|
|Pupils from Primary to JHS 3||GH¢ 0.50|
|SHS Students||GH¢ 1.00|
|Tertiary Students with ID||GH¢ 2.00|
|Ghanaian Adults||GH¢ 5.00|
|Foreign Children||USD 2.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis|
|Foreign Students with ID||USD 7.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis|
|Adult Foreigners||USD 10.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis|
*Entrance fees were reviewed in February 2013
Central and Western Regions
Cape Coast Castle
Tel +233-3321 32529